Employees and employers, if you don’t agree with a decision Paid Leave Oregon makes, you have the right to appeal it by asking for a hearing to review the decision.


What decisions can an employee appeal?

  • Your weekly benefit amount
  • The length of paid leave approved
  • The dates of paid leave approved
  • Paid Leave’s denial of your claim

What decisions can an employer appeal?

  • Your contribution amount
  • Denial of your assistance grant
  • Denial of your equivalent plan
  • Penalties from Paid Leave Oregon

How do employees and employers file an appeal?

You can ask for an appeal in 2 ways:

1. Log into your Frances Online account.

  • Employees: select your current claim and file an appeal.
  • Employers: select the item you would like to appeal and file your appeal.

2. Mail your hearing request to:

    Attn: Hearings - Paid Leave Oregon
    Oregon Employment Department
    875 Union St. NE
    Salem, OR 97311

If you have questions about how to file an appeal or need help filing your appeal, you can contact us.
Contact us

What happens next?

  • Paid Leave will send your appeal to the Office of Administrative Hearings. The office will schedule a time and date for your hearing, which will be over the phone. They will mail you this information and instructions on how to call in. If you can’t use your phone, you can request an accommodation.
  • You can send more information or documents at any time between your initial appeal application and your hearing. You can upload them to Frances Online and send them directly to the Office of Administrative Hearings. Their contact information will be in the letter you receive from them.

What happens during my hearing?

  • An administrative law judge will ask everyone on the call for information.
  • Then the judge will either end the hearing or schedule another hearing.

When will I receive a decision?

  • The judge will create a final order. A final order is their decision on your appeal. The Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) will mail the final order to you.
  • The judge’s decision will be final 60 calendar days after they mail it.
If you can’t attend your hearing, you must contact the office to reschedule your hearing.
Contact OAH

What if I need an accommodation?

The Oregon Employment Department (OED) is an equal opportunity agency. OED provides free help so you can use our services. Some examples are sign language and spoken-language interpreters, written materials in other languages, large print, audio, and other formats. To get help, please call 833-854-0166 (toll-free). TTY users call 711. You can also use the Paid Leave contact us form or email us at If you send us an email, please put "accommodation request" in the subject line. Thank you!

What if I can't file my appeal on time?

Employees have 60 calendar days and employers have 20 calendar days to file an appeal.

If circumstances outside your control prevent you from filing your appeal on time, Paid Leave will accept and process your late appeal. Paid Leave can’t decide if your reason for filing late is for good cause, which means for a good reason. The Office of Administrative Hearings has a law judge that reviews all late appeals. This judge will decide if you had a good reason for filing your appeal late.

Still have questions?

Common questions
Common questions
Learn more
News and events
News and events
Learn more
Contact us
Contact us
Learn more